Jul 28, 2007

Chinese green beans


I was wandering around the Tuesday market even though my basket was already full because I love to watch people interact the way it happens at farmers markets, between producers and the people who love their food. There is one particular stand (if there was an identifying sign I didn't see it) that is there every week, operated by an Asian family, typically an older gentleman and two younger boys. I love this stand in particular because the boys are the ones we get to interact with. There's something about a ten year old boy who knows about vegetables that I find heartening. There were the beans: super-long, plump, dark green, and frankly...different. Had to have them! Long ago Mark got used to unpacking the groceries to find some unfamiliar fruit or veggie. To his often asked question "What is it?" I'd reply "I have no idea but how bad could it be." I've rarely been disappointed and was not this time.

Mark cooked dinner that night, Gorgonzola raviolis and the Chinese green beans. He prepared them simply: just cut them into manageable pieces, then sautéed them in olive oil, butter, and garlic just until they'd lost that fibrous texture. Though Mark will eat green beans he is not a fan, but he really liked these. They still had that green bean taste and texture I love, but were a little nutty and a bit sweeter, which Mark enjoyed.

Next time you're at the market and are so inclined, try them and see how wonderful they can be.

No comments: