Jan 26, 2008

A fantastic recipe for round steak!

Yes! It’s January and we’re still eating local meat and veggies. True, we are supplementing with supermarket veggies and staples, but not much. And bonus…it’s been especially nice to make fewer trips to the store in this bone-chilling weather. With meat and veggies in the freezer and root veggies in the garage we were able to stay inside and eat hot food.

We’re down to the last of the 2007 grass-finished beef (2008 is in process) so last week when it was time to think about putting together a dinner plan I opened the freezer only to find that my best option was a cut I’d been avoiding. The label said Swiss Steak, which I know zero about so naturally I was intimidated. After a little research I determined that it was probably actually round steak. And then I found this recipe…Hunter-Style Grillades. This made one of the best meals we’ve had all winter. We made it for a family-and-friends dinner, over boiled potatoes that night and then over rice for lunch a couple of days later. The ingredient list is long but most are staples. What we didn’t have we substituted with something else. Enjoy!

No comments: