Mar 16, 2008

Farmers, farm land, Farm Bill...now we know!

Do you ever wonder about the hidden mechanisms that control the most basic aspects of our lives, like food? I do! I drive my husband nuts when we go on vacation to Mexico and I find myself preoccupied with the question “How is the household garbage disposed of?” If I lived there it would be important to me so I want to know. The same curiosity drives me to wonder about the future of local food, how will our community meet the demand.

I’m thrilled and amazed by the incredible increase in interest for local food and often ponder what will need to happen if our community farmers are going to have what they need to keep up with production. Some of you must wonder about this too. If you do, read on for more insight.

What do we need more than anything else if local food is going to thrive…farmers! The great news is that more young people are going back to the land and taking up farming. Leaving Behind the Trucker Hat is a heartening article about young farmers and how some NGOs are working to support them.

My mom sent me this op-ed written by Jack Hedin, a farmer in Minnesota. His article, My Forbidden Fruits (and Vegetables), sheds some light on an aspect of the Farm Bill that stacks the deck against “real food” farmers and those of us who want local food.

Both are interesting and important facets of our food future!

A word of caution -- you may need to sign up as a NY Times member to read these but it's free.


Life is good!


No comments: