May 2, 2008

Dairy products in Northern Nevada

Yes, it’s true! It’s been a few weeks since my last post. Why? Essentially, it’s because I got a bit stubborn. I refused to pursue any other unknown-to-me food source until I found a local resource for my favorite food group, diary. I was determined to write about local, sustainable milk, butter, and cheese available direct from a Nevada dairy to Nevada families. After months of searching I have to face it...there is no such thing in Northern Nevada.

In many places communities have found ways to develop programs that give consumers a fresh, local, farm-direct option for acquiring milk. Farm direct cheese, butter, yogurt, sour cream, and ice cream off-the-farm is less common, but milk happens all over the country. I figured there had to be something like this going on in Nevada...right? Nope!

Here are some of the things I learned over the last few months in discussions with people from the Nevada State Dairy Commission, Model Dairy personnel, and occasionally, people who live the Nevada ag-life:

Read NRS 584 to see the serious regulations that control diary production. Wow!

Cow-share programs must meet the same requirements as any industrial dairy that wishes to sell, trade or distribute raw milk. The law allows for the sale of raw milk if certain requirements are met, but no dairyman has met them because consumer demand is not enough to help fund the cost associated with requirement compliance.

Model Diary is sort of local because the plant is located in Reno, they obtain some of the dairy products from local dairies, which are available all over the Truckee Meadows, but the company is no longer locally owned. This could be an option.

Model Diary sells drinking milk grown on local dairies located in Gardnerville, Yerington and Fallon, which is then processed here in Reno. Look for the Model Dairy label or code 32-01 on the carton if you want to buy Nevada milk.

Horizon organic milk is a Model Dairy product but it comes from diaries located in other states.

Model Dairy drinking milk is from local cows. MD butter, cottage, ice cream, etc. is made from dairy that comes from other states.

Most of the milk we have access to usually comes from two breeds - Holstein and Jersey. Drinking milk typically comes from Holstein cows; cheese makers prefer Jersey for the high-fat content that contributes to cheesey lusciousness.

Some Nevada dairymen produce Jersey milk but it is shipped to California for yogurt production. If you want to make your own cheese try using Strauss Family Creamery milk, which still has the cream on top so makes a creamier cheese. My cheese-making friends say it works fairly well.

We lost our last goat cheese makers within the last couple of years. Is anyone out there looking for a new cheese-making life? I understand the facility is still up for sale.

At this point it seems the only way my family will be able to get fresh, unprocessed, all-the-fat diary is if we get our own cow. Pretty sure the HOA won’t go for that!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings Shelley! That goat dairy facility still on the market? Is it in the Sparks area or out Fallon way? I heard of one out there a few years ago, but now I can't find it.

Shelley said...

Hi Ginger,

I'll try to track down the answer. Please post your phone number or email through a comment (I promise not to publish it) and I'll get a hold of you with an update. Shelley

daisygirl17 said...

If anyone know of a dairy farm on the market in Nevada we are looking. Thanks

Shelley said...

Hi daisygirl17,

Contact me...I have questions and perhaps some answers/options.

Shelley

gael said...

Hi Shelley, I'm glad to have found your blog. Guess we're on the same track, local dairy. I didn't know where model dairy drinking milk came from. Do you know if model dairy allows rGBH in the products they sell?

we had raw milk for a short time from organic pastures, fresno ca. it was sold as superlite colostrum. it was wonderful. i could drink a glass of that milk and i wasn't hungry for any other food. whole food really does make a difference.

it seems that we can no longer sell raw dairy within the state. that's really too bad IMO.

i think Local Food Northern Nevada would greatly benefit by listing the Great Basin Community Food Cooperative over on Plumas. Here is the website: http://www.greatbasinfood.coop/

Shelley said...

Hi Gael,

Your question regarding rBGH and Model Dairy products is a good one...I hadn't even considered this because we prefer organic so have no opportunity to purchase from MD. Call Anna Vickery at the Nevada Dairy Council and ask. Perhaps if the Dairy Council hears from enough people they'll respond to customer demand. Anna can be reached at 775-688-1211.

And you are correct...a local food blog that doesn't include a link to the GBCFC has no credibility! The GBCFC link was one of the features lost when I converted to the new look. I'll put it back on right now.