Jul 15, 2009

What does the Thanksgiving Butterball have to do with ravaged communities and environments?

Okay, I just have to say it because turkey has been on my mind the last couple of days.

I try to present everything I've learned over the last few years in a positive light simply because it's healthier to be for something (local food, restaurants, and farmers) than against something (misguided government policy, corporate greed, and public apathy). But it's my blog and today I choose to be pissed off about this.

Mother Earth recently wrote a blurb about a Rolling Stones report on Smithfield Farms, one of the biggest, nastiest, greediest corporations on the planet. And….they own Butterball. So if extolling the virtues of local farmers, tasty meats, and community doesn’t get people off their duffs and making the effort to contact a local turkey farmer, perhaps the gruesome reality of Smithfield World will.

Argh!

No comments: