Jan 12, 2010

Local garden seed for your Northern Nevada backyard garden

Here's a great new development! Mewaldt Organics is offering their regionally acclimated garden seed for sale online and early.

If you’re new to backyard gardening here’s a bit of advice…buy seed now!

The number of backyard gardens grew tremendously last year and I think it’s safe to say that trend will continue this year. Seed companies will be busier than ever filling those orders and the early garden-planner will get the seed packet. This is the time of year to be thinking about ordering garden seed because the popular but limited varieties are still available - wait too long and they might be gone.

And now Mewaldt Organics has made it possible to buy local, organic seed from plants acclimated to the Northern Nevada climate and that have produced successful crops for years, online and early just like Seed Savers Exchange and other companies.

Last year Mewaldt Organics seed was for sale at the Great Basin Coop in the late spring so I picked Asian Baby Eggplant and Szegedi Sweet Pepper and squeezed them into my garden plan. I didn't have much luck with the eggplant mostly because I've never grown them and didn't know what the heck I was doing, but the peppers were stupendous. Both these varieties will by on my summer plate this year, gardening gods willing.

Already I'm looking forward to pre-spring seed starting!


No comments: